Fr. John Hunt
Diocese of Ogdensburg
Placed on Leave: 2006
Assigned as Follows:
- 1970-1971 St. Mary (Champlain, NY)
- 1972-1974 St. Alexander (Morrisonville, NY)
- 1975-1980 Wadhams Hall (Ogdensburg, NY)
- 1981-1986 St. John the Baptist (Keeseville, NY)
- 1987-1990 St. Francis of Assisi (Potsdam, NY)
- 1991-1995 St. Patrick (Watertown, NY)
- 1996-1999 Notre Dame Church (Ogdensburg, NY)
- 2000 St. Francis of Assisi Campus Parish (Potsdam, NY)
- 2001-2002 St. Thomas More Church (Canton, NY)
- 2003-2004 St. Henry Church (De Kalb, NY) Sacred Heart (De Kalb, NY)
- 2005-2006 St. Henry (Gouverneur, NY)
- St. Anthony of Padua (Old Forge, NY)
- St. Bartholomew (Old Forge, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John Hunt:
Father John Hunt was ordained to the priesthood in the Diocese of Ogdensburg in 1969. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, in June 2006, he resigned as the pastor of two parishes in Old Forge, New York. Father Hunt was placed on administrative leave after allegations surfaced of “inappropriate sexual behavior.” The incident reportedly happened over 10 years before the Diocese of Ogdensburg was notified.
Father Hunt was the pastor of St. Bartholomew’s and St. Anthony of Padua at the time of the investigation. No further information including the number of victims who have came forward has been released by the diocese.
In November 2018, Father Hunt’s name was included on the Diocese of Ogdensburg’s list of credibly accused priests. It noted that he died in April 2016 at his home in Pompano Beach, FL.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Ogdensburg in New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused as a child in New York State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Ogdensburg now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.