Brother Ramon Varela
Diocese of Fresno (Franciscan)
- 1949-1955: Native American Mission, AZ
- 1955-1960: St. Mary’s (Stockton, CA)
- 1960-1962: Mission San Miguel (San Miguel, CA)
- 1962-1963: St. Peter’s (Bapchule, AZ)
- 1963-1967: Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1967-1968: St. Elizabeth’s (Oakland CA)
- 1968-1970: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Fresno, CA)
- 1970-1972: Our Lady of Guadalupe (San Jose, CA)
- 1972-1976: Ascension (Portland, OR)
- 1975-1978: Saints Simon and Jude (Huntington Beach, CA)
- 1978-1979: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Delano, CA)
- 1979: Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1979-1993: St. Francis Home (Santa Ana, NM)
- 1993-2001: ElderCare Facilities (NM)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Brother Ramon Varela:
Br. Ramon Varela was a member of the Franciscan Friars of the Province of St. Barbara who served in the Diocese of Fresno. According to media reports, Br. Ramon Varela, was named publicly as accused by the Franciscans’ Santa Barbara Province on its 2019 list Friars that are Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor. It notes a report was made in 1994, alleging that Br. Varela sexually abused minors from 1949 to 1979.
Br. Varela died in 2002. His status as a priest and whether he had access to children from 1993 until his death is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Fresno in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Fresno now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Fresno, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.