Father Thomas Mohan
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- 1936: St. Mary of the Lake Seminary (Mundelein, IL)
- 1937: Collegio S. Maria Del Lago (Rome, Italy)
- 1938-1945: Blessed Sacrament (Chicago, IL)
- 1938-1952: Quigley Preparatory (Chicago, IL)
- 1946-1950: St. Mary’s of the Lake (Chicago, IL)
- 1951-1955: Archdiocesan Clergy House (Chicago, IL)
- 1956-1958: St. Edward’s (Chicago, IL)
- 1959-1966: Cardinal Stritch Retreat House (Mundelein, IL)
- 1967-1972: St. Genevieve (Chicago, IL
- 1973-2002: Retired and St. Anthony Claret Church (Fullerton, CA)
- 1973-2002: Retired, St. Genevieve (Chicago IL)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Thomas Mohan:
According to media reports, Monsignor Thomas Mohan was ordained a priest in 1935, who served in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, in was first publicly accused in a lawsuit filed in October 2018, by a man who said Mohan sexually abused him as a child for two years beginning in 1978, when the man was age 10 while serving at St. Anthony Claret Church in Anaheim. The man filed a suit against all Catholic Bishops in California and the Archdiocese of Chicago, alleging they had engaged in covering up Mohan’s sexual abuse for decades.
The man said he had heard from another one of Monsignor Mohan’s victims. The Archdiocese of Chicago received a second complaint of misconduct in California. “This lawsuit is to find justice — to get the clerics at the top to come clean and tell the truth,” the man said.
“I struggle with it every day simply because I lost my faith, I lost my virginity, I lost the trust that I had in people that I should have trusted,” he said. “And that damaged not only myself but my family.”
Monsignor Mohan retired in 1973 and died in 2002. In December 2018, his name was included on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted a report in 2018 of incidents occurring in 1974 or 1975 and from 1978-1980.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.