Father Barry Vinyard
Diocese of San Diego
Assigned as follows:
- 1974-1975: St. Joseph (Barstow, CA)
- 1976: On Duty Outside the Diocese
- 1977-1981: Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (Calexico, CA)
- 1982-1983: St. John Church (Encinitas, CA)
- 1984-1985: St. Patrick Church (Carlsbad, CA)
- 1986: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (San Diego, CA)
- 1987-1991: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Calexico, CA)
- 1991-1997: University of San Diego (San Diego, CA)
- 1998-2000: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Lakeside, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Barry Vinyard:
Father Barry Vinyard was ordained a priest in 1975, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Diego. He previously worked as a deacon at St. Joseph in Barstow in 1975. According to media reports, in 2003 a man filed a lawsuit alleging that Father Vinyard had sexually abused him from 1978 to 1979 while working at Our Lady of Guadalupe in Calexico. Father Vinyard denied the allegations.
After the lawsuit was filed, Father Vinyard requested from the Bishop to retire in January 2004. The Diocese of San Diego revoked his faculties. He was referred to as the first actively serving priest in the diocese to be named in a lawsuit.
Father Vinyard was included in the Diocese of San Diego’s list of priests credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor. His personnel file was released in October 2010. As of 2016, he was believed to be living in San Diego.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Diego in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Diego now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.