Father George Foley
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Left Order: 1974
Assigned as follows:
- 1963-1965: Pomona School for Boys (La Verne, CA)
- 1965-1968: Holy Name of Mary Parish (San Dimas, CA)
- 1968: Sacred Heart Parish (Molokai, HI)
- 1968-1969: Chaplain of California Youth Authority Center (Norwalk, CA)
- 1969-1973: In residence at Bishop Amat’s Faculty Residence (CA)
- 1973-1974: In residence at Damien High School Faculty Residence (La Verne, CA)
- 1975-1980: Curate at St. Augustine’s Church, Daventry, (Northamptonshire, England)
- 1980-1986: Curate in the parish of Great Missenden (Buckinhamshire, England)
- 1986-1995: Chaplain in Cabinteely Community School
- 1996-2014: In residence at Coudrin House (Dublin, Ireland)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father George Foley:
Father George Foley was ordained in Ireland as a priest of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in 1963, and served in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, in 1974, a Sacred Heart Provincial recommended to the Archdiocesan Chancellor that Father Foley’s faculties be revoked because of “personal problems.” He left the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 1974 and reportedly lived outside the Order and worked as a probation officer in East Los Angeles for some time. He also spent time working in England.
In 2002, a woman wrote to Archbishop of Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony alleging that she was sexually abused by Father Foley as a child from approximately 1971 to 1974 while he worked at Sacred Heart Parish in Molokai, HI in the late 1960’s. Father Foley was reportedly staying with her and having sexual relations with her mother, as well. He was named in a civil suit in 2003. His name appeared on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
He died in 2014.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in California State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Los Angeles and nationwide. We can help.