Father Gary M. Luiz
Diocese of Oakland / Missionaries of the Precious Blood
- 1978-1979: St. Barnabas (Alameda, CA)
- 1980-1986: St. Edward’s (Newark, CA)
- 1987-1991: St. Barnabas (Alameda, CA)
- 1992-2008: Society of the Precious Blood (Berkeley, CA)
- 2004: Adjutant Judicial Vicars and Canonical Consultant to the Bishop (Oakland, CA)
- 2004: Judges (Oakland, CA)
- 2004-2010: Defenders of the Bond (Ripon, CA)
- 2004-2017: Defenders of the Bond (Reno, NV)
- 2005: Councilors (Oakland, CA)
- 2014-2017: Promoter of Justice (Reno, NV)
- Present: Gaspar Mission House (Niagara Falls, Ontario)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Gary M. Luiz:
Fr. Gary M Luiz was a member of the Society of the Precious Blood religious order. According to media reports, in 2003, Luiz was named in a civil lawsuit alleging that he sexually abused a young boy while serving at St. Edward Catholic Church from 1980 to 1986. The Diocese of Oakland claims they did not learn about the allegations until 1990, after which he was immediately placed on leave.
Luiz later earned a degree in Canon Law, worked in a missionary office, and worked at a Berkeley monastery as of 2005. He is on the Diocese of Oakland list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse to a minor. As of July 2023, Father Luiz is responsible for the archives of the Congregation of Missionaries of the Precious Blood Atlantic Province and living in the Gaspar Mission House in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in California, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.