Father Ramon Varela
Diocese of Oakland/Franciscans
- 1949-1955: Native American Mission, AZ
- 1955-1960: St. Mary’s (Stockton, CA)
- 1960-1962: Mission San Miguel (San Miguel, CA)
- 1962-1963: St. Peter’s (Bapchule, AZ)
- 1963-1967: Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1967-1968: St. Elizabeth’s (Oakland CA)
- 1968-1970: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Fresno, CA)
- 1970-1972: Our Lady of Guadalupe (San Jose, CA)
- 1972-1976: Ascension (Portland, OR)
- 1975-1978: Saints Simon and Jude (Huntington Beach, CA)
- 1978-1979: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Delano, CA)
- 1979 Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1979-1993: St. Francis Home (Santa Ana, NM)
- 1993-2001: ElderCare Facilities (NM)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Ramon Varela:
Fr. Ramon Varela, a member of the Franciscan Friars of the Province of St. Barbara, was named publicly as accused by the Franciscans’ St. Barbara Province list in 2019 that is credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor. He was included on the Diocese of Oakland list along with the Diocese of Phoenix list in 2019. According to this list, a report was made in 1994, alleging that Varela sexually abused minors from 1949 to 1979. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims, the nature of the alleged sexual abuse, or Varela’s assignments at the time of the alleged abuse is unknown.
In 2020, Varela was included on the Diocese of Stockton list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor.
His status as a priest and whether he had access to children from 1993 until his death is unknown.
Varela died in 2002.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in California, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.