Brother John Moniz
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1957-1960: Provincial Residence (San Francisco, CA)
- 1960-1962: University of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- 1962-1968: Sacred Heart Novitiate (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1968-1969: Bellarmine College Preparatory (San Jose, CA)
- 1969-1972: Gregorian University (Rome, Italy)
- 1972-1984: University of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- 1984-1991: Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1991- Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
- Unknown: Vianney Renewal Center (Dittmer, MO)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Brother John Moniz:
John Moniz was a Jesuit brother who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 1994, he was arrested for allegedly forcing a 4-year-old girl to fondle him as they took a walk at St. Mary’s Church in 1991. At the time of the abuse, Moniz was living at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California. There were other priests in residence there that were also convicted of abuse.
In 1995, Moniz was convicted of sexual misconduct with a young girl that took place in 1991. He was sentenced to three years of probation which ended in 1998. He was also ordered to pay for the victim’s uninsured medical expenses and psychological treatment.
In 2018, Moniz was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted an allegation of sexual abuse occurring 1991, was received in 1995.
Br. Moniz died in 2008.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.