Father John Joseph Brown
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1942-1945: Sacred Heart Mission (Desmet, ID)
- 1945-1949: Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1949-1950: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1950-1957: Sacred Heart Mission (Desmet, ID)
- 1957-1958: St. Ignatius Mission (St. Ignatius, MT)
- 1958-1967: St. Charles Mission (Hays, MT)
- 1967-1970: St. Paul’s Mission (Hays, MT)
- 1970-1971: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1971-1976: Sacred Heart Church (Wellpinit, WA)
- 1976-1978: Mount St. Michael’s (Spokane, WA)
- 1978-1980: St. Andrew’s Mission (Pendleton, OR)
- 1980-1982: Catholic Church (Ferndale, WA)
- 1982-1983: St. Joachim’s Church (Marietta, WA)
- 1983-1985: St. Michael’s Institute (Spokane, WA)
- 1985-1986: Regis community (Spokane, WA)
- 1986-1987: Gonzaga University Community (Spokane, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John Joseph Brown:
Fr. John Joseph Brown was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1948 who served in multiple dioceses including in the Diocese of San Jose. He spent much of his career in Native American mission schools and parishes. According to media reports, his name was included on the Province’s 2011 list of “perpetrators of sexual abuse.” The Jesuits agreed to post the list on its website as part of its bankruptcy reorganization plan.
In 2018, Brown’s name was included on the Great Falls-Billings list named as being credibly accused of child sex abuse, as well as on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted abuse reported in 2009 that took place in 1953-1959. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victims and the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Brown died in 1987.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.