Father Paul R. Valdez
Diocese of Monterey
Faculties removed: 2019
- 1982-1984: Sacred Heart (Salinas, CA)
- 1982-1984: Christ the King (Salinas, CA)
- 1984-1985: Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo (Monterey, CA)
- 1984-1985: Annunciation (Stephen Place, CA)
- 1984-1985: Monterey Peninsula (CA)
- 1985-1987: St. Joseph’s (Capitola, CA)
- 1987-1989: US Military
- 1989-1990: Sacred Heart (Hollister, CA)
- 1989-1990: Immaculate Conception (Tres Pinos, CA)
- 1990-1992: Holy Cross (Santa Cruz, CA)
- 1992-1994: St. John the Baptist (King City, CA)
- 1992-1994: St. Luke (San Lucas, CA)
- 1994-1995: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Los Osos, CA)
- 1995-1999: Sacred Heart (Salinas, CA)
- 1999-2005: St. Michael’s (Boulder Creek, CA)
- 2003-2004: Christ Child (Los Gatos, CA)
- 2005-2011: St. Jude Parish Community (Filipino-Korean) (Marina, CA)
- 2011: Vicar for Retired Priests
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Paul R. Valdez:
Fr. Paul R. Valdez worked in multiple California dioceses, including the Diocese of Monterey and the Diocese of San Jose.
According to Bishop Accountability, in 1999, an 11-year-old girl accused Fr. Paul Valdez of sexually abusing her during confession a year prior at Sacred Heart in Salinas, CA. She told her 6th-grade teacher about the incident that took place in 1998 because she didn’t want to be sent to Fr. Valdez again for confession.
Sister Lynne had her, as well as several other girls who said they didn’t like to go to confession with Fr. Valdez, write their reasons anonymously. The girl wrote, “Father Paul touches me where I don’t want to be touched and touched my private parts and I don’t like it.”
Shockingly, the teacher recognized her handwriting and the school principal humiliated the girl in front of the class and told everybody not to talk about it with anyone else. The teacher and principal downplayed the incident to the Department of Social Services.
The 11-year-old girl’s family sued the Diocese of Monterey, resulting in a settlement. The police report stated that several other girls in the 11-year-old victims’ classroom didn’t want to go to Valdez for confession. However, it did not result in charges against the priest. As of 2011, Valdez remained an active priest of the Monterey Diocese.
In 2019, allegations were reclassified and from non-credible to credible, and faculties were removed in 2019. Fr. Paul Valdez was included on the Diocese of Monterey’s 2019 List of Credibly Accused Clergy of Sexual Abuse. Valdez was last known to be living in Watsonville, California.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Monterey in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Monterey now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Monterey, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.