Father James Poole
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1953-1954: Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1954-1955: Seattle University (Seattle, WA)
- 1955-1956: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1956-1959: St. Lawrence (Mountain Village, AK)
- 1959-1964: St. Mary’s Mission (St. Mary’s, AK)
- 1964-1965: Jesuit High School (Portland, OR)
- 1965-1966: St. Patrick’s (Barrow, AK)
- 1966-1979: St. Joseph’s (Nome, AK)
- The 1970s: Peter the Apostle Retreat House
- 1979-1980: Jesuit School of Theology (Berkeley, CA)
- 1980-1988: St. Peter’s (Nome, AK)
- 1980-1987: KNOM Radio (Nome, AK)
- 1988-1989: Bellarmine High School (Tacoma, WA)
- 1988-1989: St. Joseph’s Hospital and Health Care Center (Tacoma, WA)
- 1990-2003: Bellarmine High School (Tacoma, WA)
- 1990-2003: St. Joseph’s Hospital and Health Care Center (Tacoma, WA)
- 2003-2014: Retired/Regis community (Spokane, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father James Poole:
Fr. James Poole was ordained a priest of the Oregon Province in 1953. He spent most of priesthood in Alaska, but also served in multiple parishes on the west coast including in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, Fr. Poole has been accused of sexually abusing young girls throughout his career, beginning in 1948. Poole was removed from KNOM Radio Station which is a radio station he founded in 1988 in Nome, Alaska. Personnel files show the Jesuits knew of his behavioral issues as early as 1960.
In 2003, Poole retired to the Regis Community in Spokane. In 2005, he was named in a lawsuit alleging he sexually abused a 10-year-old girl in 1978 until she was 19. He admitted to sexual abuse of a minor and the claim settled for $1 million that same year.
Later in 2005, a victim came forward accusing Poole of sexually abusing her in approximately 1968 when she was 7-years-old. He allegedly had her sit on his lap and he proceeded to expose his private area.
Poole’s name was included on the Diocese of Fairbanks 2010 list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse, as well as on the Archdiocese of Seattle 2016 list. In 2018, Poole’s name was also included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2004-2006 and 2009 in reference to abuse of a minor that took place in 1948-1953, 1956-1957, 1959-1963, 1967-1968, 1970, 1975-1977, 1979-1980.
He died in 2018.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.