Father Charles Bermingham
Diocese of Rockville Centre
- 1932: St. Gertrude (Edgemere, NY)
- 1932-Unknown: St. Vincent Ferrer (Manhattan, NY)
- 1935-Unknown: Further study at Washington
- 1936-1938: St. Mary Star of the Sea (Far Rockaway, NY)
- 1938: St. Vincent de Paul (Bethpage, NY)
- 1940-Unknown: General Diocesan Director, Catholic Youth Movement
- 1947-1950: St. Joseph’s (Babylon, NY)
- 1950-1952: St. Patrick (Huntington, NY)
- 1957-1965: Diocesan Director Catholic Charities
- 1960-1977: St. Aidan (Williston Park, NY)
- 1963-1975: Delegate Our Lady Gate of Heaven Deanery (Hempstead, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Charles Bermingham:
Fr. Charles Bermingham is listed on the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s 2021 List of Clergy Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor. According to the list, the alleged sexual abuse occurred while Fr. Bermingham worked at St. Aidan Church in Williston Park, NY, sometime between 1960-1977. The details of the sexual abuse allegations, including where the alleged abuse occurred, or the victim’s age/gender, are unknown. Fr. Bermingham died in 2003.
According to media reports, since the list has come out, advocates, survivors, parishioners, and attorneys are demanding that officials remove the “Bermingham Place” street sign in front of St. Aidan’s that was named after the priest decades ago, stating that Bermingham should not have such an honor. In June 2021, local officials had the sign taken down and replaced with the original name, Dover Street.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Rockville Centre in New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. In October 2020, the Rockville Centre Diocese filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The Court will resolve all claims of sexual abuse in this process, but strict filing deadlines will apply, and no late claims will be considered, so contact us today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.