Monsignor John McCracken
Diocese of Oakland
- 1944-1948: St. Augustine Church (Oakland, CA)
- Summers of 1950s-1960s: Sunshine Camp in Mendocino County
- 1950-1956: Catholic Social Service (Oakland, CA)
- 1956-1958: Catholic Social Service for Marin, Solano, and Contra Costa Counties
- 1958-1962: Catholic Social Service for Solano and Contra Costa Counties
- 1962-1970: Catholic Charities, Diocese of Oakland
- 1969-1970: St. Benedict Parish (Oakland, CA)
- 1970-1979: Queen of All Saints (Concord, CA)
- 1979-1983: St. Mary Parish (Walnut Creek, CA)
- 1983-1985: Santa Maria (Orinda, CA)
- 1989-2006: St. Anne (Walnut Creek, CA)
- 2010-2012: St. Isidore Parish (Danville, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Monsignor John McCracken:
Msgr. John McCracken served as a priest throughout the Bay Area for over six decades. In May 2021, a lawsuit was filed against the Diocese of Oakland alleging sexual abuse by McCracken between 1972 and 1974. According to media reports, the victim alleges that when he was an 11-year-old boy at Queen of All Saints in Concord, California, McCracken would summon him to his office in the rectory, touch him inappropriately and then rape him. According to his old medical records, he was treated for “rectal bleeding” during that time frame.
Now in his 60’s, the man claims he was crippled with very deep depression and anxiety for years and was in 30 years of group therapy because of the abuse. He believes there were other victims of McCracken.
McCracken died in 2012. He was the oldest and longest-serving priest of the Diocese of Oakland. The case is pending investigation.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in California, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.