Father Michael Doucette
Diocese of Portland
Removed: 1991; 2002
Assigned as follows:
- 1975: St. Martin of Tours (Millinocket, ME)
- 1976: St. Andre (Biddeford, MA)
- 1980: St. Louis (Fort Kent, ME)
- 1981: Campus Parish at University of Maine (Fort Kent, ME)
- 1984: Sacred Heart Parish (North Caribou, ME)
- 1984: Mission of St. Theresa (Stockholm, MA)
- 1985: Auxiliary Chaplain at Loring Air Force Base (Loring, ME)
- 1991: St. Thomas (Madawaska, ME)
- 2000: St. Charles, St. Francis, Missions of St. John and St. Paul (Allagash, ME)
- 2001: St. Agatha, Mission of St. Joseph (Sinclair, ME)
- 2001: St. Luce (Frenchville, ME)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Michael Doucette:
Fr. Michael Doucette was ordained a priest in 1975, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Portland. According to media reports, in 1991, a man alleged he was sexually abused by the priest in the early 1980’s. The man alleged Fr. Doucette, a family friend and the leader of the youth group, repeatedly raped him over a five-year period beginning when he was 15 years old. Fr. Doucette admitted to the abuse and was temporarily removed from ministry.
According to media reports, church officials offered money to the victim in exchange for his silence. Fr. Doucette returned to active ministry in 1992. The victim negotiated a monetary settlement with the Diocese of Portland and Fr. Doucette in 1993, which included reimbursement for therapy. In 2004 the victim sued the Diocese of Portland in small claims court for failure to pay his therapy bills. In 2019, a judge ruled in favor of the Diocese of Portland.
In 2002, another allegation of sexual misconduct against Fr. Doucette surfaced. A Maine man alleges that Doucette made sexual advances and exposed himself to him in the 1980’s when the man was 17-18 years old. Following this allegation, Fr. Doucette publicly admitted to having several sexual encounters with a 15-year-old parishioner. Doucette was permanently removed from ministry.
His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Portland in Maine. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maine, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Portland now have legal options, but filing deadlines may apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Maine and nationwide. We can help.