Father Kevin Downey
Diocese of St. Petersburg (Franciscan)
Assigned as Follows:
- 1982-1983: St. Bonaventure Friary (Allegany, NY)
- 1983-1985: Quincy College (Quincy, IL)
- 1985-1986: St. Anthony’s (Butler, NJ)
- 1986-1991: Quincy College (Quincy, IL)
- 1991-1993: St. Francis of Assisi (Raleigh, NC)
- 1993-1996: Not indexed
- 1996-1999: Our Lady of the Assumption/ St. Mary’s (Pompton Lakes, NJ)
- 1999-2002: St. Bonaventure (Allegany, NY)
- 1999-2002: St. John the Baptist (Vandalia, NY)
- 2002-2011: Our Lady of the Assumption; St. Mary’s (Pompton Lakes, NJ)
- 2011-2016: St. Francis of Assisi (Triangle, VA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Kevin Downey:
Fr. Kevin Downey was ordained a priest in the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Name Province in 1982. He then served in the Diocese of St. Petersburg, in parishes in Buffalo, Arlington and many others. According to media reports, in May 2016, Downey was placed on leave pending an investigation of an allegation of sexual misconduct toward a male minor in 1990. Downey was working at the Franciscan’s Quincy College at the time of the alleged misconduct. He denied the allegation.
Downey’s suspension was just months after being named to the St. Bonaventure University Board of Trustees. St. Bonaventure was reportedly not aware of any allegation against Downey when he was named a trustee. He then resigned before the allegation became public. In April 2017, the Province announced that the claim against him was found credible. Downey was removed permanently from all public ministries.
Downey’s name appears on the Diocese of Raleigh list of accused clergy as of October 2018.
In October 2021, the Holy Name Province published a list of Franciscan friars with substantiated child sexual abuse and misconduct claims following a review of its files by an advisory firm. Kevin Downey was one of 23 the friars named.
Downey is still a friar, living at St. Anthony Friary in St. Petersburg, FL.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of St. Petersburg in Florida. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Florida, contact our office today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Florida and nationwide. We can help.