Father John Gallen
Archdiocese of Baltimore/Jesuit
- 1963-1964: Woodstock College (Woodstock, MD)
- 1964-1965: (Drongen-bij-Gent Belgium)
- 1965-1967: St. Mattrais Abtei (Trier, Germany)
- 1967-1970: College of the Sacred Heart (Woodstock, MD)
- 1970-1977: Woodstock College (New York, NY)
- 1977-1979: Notre Dame University (Notre Dame, IN)
- 1979-1980: (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1980-1987: St. Ignatius Loyola (New York, NY)
- 1984-1985: Franciscan Renewal Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
- 1986-1991: Corpus Christi Center (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1991: Bellarmine College Prep (San Jose, CA)
- 1992: (San Jose, CA)
- 1993: (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1994-1997: Unknown
- 1998-2007: Residence and publication office of the American Press (New York, NY)
- 2008-2011: Murray-Weigel Hall (New York, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father John Gallen
Fr. John Gallen was ordained a Jesuit priest and worked in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. In 2019, Gallen was listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of Minors list. In April 2023, Maryland’s Attorney General released a report alleging 156 Catholic clergy members sexually abused at least 600 children over six decades. The report lists the names of the abusers, including Father Gallen.
According to Bishop Accountability, in 1993, a man reported to his local diocese, the Diocese of Milwaukee, that he was sexually abused by Fr. Gallen when he was a 16-year-old altar boy in 1980 at St. Joseph’s Parish in Toledo, OH. Gallen was sent there to lead a week-long retreat in which Gallen touched the boy inappropriately and kissed him. When he returned home to Phoenix, AZ, the victim claimed that Gallen convinced his parents to agree to send him to help Gallen move from Phoenix to Sacramento, CA. The victim claimed that said Gallen forced him into oral sex in a Palm Springs, CA hotel. He told two of his parish priests at the time of the abuse, but they didn’t believe him. In 1993, Gallen sent his accuser letters of apology for his behavior in 1993 and 1994. Gallen could not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations had expired. In 2018, the Jesuits reported the allegation of child sexual abuse by Father Gallen which was found to be credible.
Fr. Gallen died in 2011.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Baltimore in Maryland. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maryland, contact our office today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse nationwide. We can help. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.