Fr. Joseph Gallagher
Archdiocese of Baltimore
- 1955-1962: Basilica of the Assumption (Baltimore, MD)
- 1962-1963: Villa Maria (Timonium, MD) and St. Paul’s Latin High School (Baltimore, MD)
- 1964-1966: Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart (Towson, MD)
- 1967-1976:St. Mary’s Seminary (Baltimore, MD)
- 1976-1985: Resurrection (Ellicott City, MD), St. Lawrence (Baltimore, MD), Cathedral of Mary Our Queen (Baltimore, MD), Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Baltimore, MD), CYO Retreat House (Baltimore, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father Joseph Gallagher
Fr. Joseph Gallagher, also known as J. Joseph Gallagher, was ordained a Catholic priest and worked in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. In 2002, Fr. Gallagher was listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of Minors list. In April 2023, Maryland’s Attorney General released a report alleging 156 Catholic clergy members sexually abused at least 600 children over six decades. The report lists the names of the abusers, including Father Joseph Gallagher.
According to the Attorney General’s report, in 1986, one year after Fr. Gallagher retired, the Archdiocese of Baltimore was informed by a victim’s mother that her son was sexually abused by Gallagher in 1980 in Gettysburg, PA when her son was 14 years old. In 1993, the victim met with the archdiocese himself and reported the same allegations. Gallagher admitted an “inappropriate conduct” with the victim but denied there was any “genital touching.” Gallagher was then removed from ministry. Gallagher tried to get his faculties restored twice and was denied both times.
Father Joseph Gallagher died in 2015.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Baltimore in Maryland. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maryland, contact our office today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse nationwide. We can help. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.