Father Sylvan Fondriest
Archdiocese of Baltimore/Capuchin
- 1941-1943: St. Cecilia Church (Rochester, PA)
- 1943-1944: St. Anthony Church (North Rochester, PA)
- 1944-1949: Orphanage Chaplain
- 1949-1951: St. Charles Church (St. Louis, PA)
- 1951-1953: St. Augustine’s Monastery (Lawrenceville, PA)
- 1953-1955: Mt. Assisi (Trafford, PA)
- 1955- 1956: Sacred Heart Church (Charleston)
- 1956-1976: St. Peter and Paul School (Cumberland, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father Sylvan Fondriest
Fr. Sylvan Fondriest was ordained a Capuchin priest and worked in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. In 2019, Fondriest was listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of Minors list. In April 2023, Maryland’s Attorney General released a report alleging 156 Catholic clergy members sexually abused at least 600 children over six decades. The report lists the names of the abusers, including Father Fondriest.
According to the Attorney General’s report, in 2007, a man alleged that he was sexually abused by Father Sylvan Fondriest during the late 1950s. In 2008, the archdiocese learned of an allegation by a second individual that he was abused by Fondriest in the late 1950s.
Fr. Fondriest died in 1976.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Baltimore in Maryland. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maryland, contact our office today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse nationwide. We can help. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.