Msgr. Desmond McGee
Diocese of Erie
Named in Civil Lawsuit: 1996
Elevated to Monsignor: 1996
Leave of Absence: 2014
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Clearfield, PA)
- St. Michael Parish (Greenville,PA)
- Campus ministry at Thiel College
- Bradford Central Christian High School (Bradford, PA); St. Francis of Assisi (Bradford, PA)
- Diocesan Office of Matrimonial Concerns
- St. Joseph Parish (Warren, PA)
- Christ the King Parish (Houtzdale, PA)
- St. Francis Of Assisi Parish (Clearfield, PA)
- St. Timothy Parish (Curwensville, PA)
- St. Bonaventure Parish (Grampian, PA)
- Holy Trinity Parish (Ramey, PA)
- Christ the King Manor (DuBois, PA) (Chaplain)
- Diocesan Pastoral Advisory Board,
- Priests’ Personnel Board
- Diocesan Presbyteral Council
- Clergy Continuing Education Committee
- Bishop’s College of Consultors
- Dean of the Clearfield Deanery
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Msgr. Desmond McGee:
Father Desmond McGee was not listed in the 2018 PA Grand Jury report of sexual abuse allegations against priests in the Diocese of Erie. However, the release of the report prompted a male victim to come forward and renew allegations he made against McGee in a 1996 lawsuit that was later dismissed on the basis of the expiration of the statute of limitations.
According to the 1996 court papers, the victim accused McGee of sexually abusing him approximately 10 times between September 1988 and October 1989 while he was a student at Bradford Central Christian High School. McGee was the headmaster of the school at that time and was suspended as headmaster after the victim filed the suit, though his attorneys claimed he was retiring at the end of the year anyway.
Following the release of the 2018 Grand Jury Report, the local district attorney announced that the allegations against McGee had been “reopened” and a new investigation would be conducted, more than 20 years after they were first brought to the attention of the Diocese.
Bishop Trautman was accused numerous times in the Grand Jury report of personally concealing and covering up allegations of sexual abuse against several of his priests. It is not clear if the Diocese of Erie provided McGee’s file to the Grand Jury for review or if the Grand Jury determined that the man’s allegation should not be included in the report.
McGee was a retired priest in good standing and a patient at Christ the King Manor, a nursing home in DuBois, Pennsylvania, until he died on October 15, 2021.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Erie. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Erie may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.