Father Robert Cullen
Diocese of Charlotte (Jesuits)
Assigned as follows:
- 1960 – 1961: Jesuit College Preparatory School (Dallas, TX)
- 1961 – 1962: Bishop’s Latin School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1962 – 1963: Fordham University (New York, NY)
- 1963 – 1982: Loyola Blakefield (Towson, MD)
- 1982 – 1983: Central Catholic High School (Wheeling, WV)
- 1983 – 1990: Wheeling Jesuit College (Wheeling, WV)
- 1990 – 1991: Jesuit House of Prayer (Hot Springs, NC)
- 1991 – 1992: Saints Peter & Paul (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1992 – 1994: Corpus Christi Pastoral Center (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1994 – 1996: St. Charles Lwanga Parish (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1996 – 2002: Loyola Blakefield (Towson, MD)
- 2002 – 2004: Jesuit Community of St. Isaac Jogues (Wernersville, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Robert Cullen:
Father Robert Cullen was ordained a priest in 1958, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Charlotte. According to media reports, in March 2007, in testimony before the Maryland legislature, a woman stated that Father Robert Cullen sexually abused her for several years in the 1960s when she was in elementary school. She said her mother reported the abuse to the Archdiocese repeatedly beginning in the late 1960s, and to her own brother, the Jesuit priest Leo Daly, s.j. No action was taken. Her mother reported it again sometime after 1982, to the Jesuit priest Allen P. Novotny, s.j., who later became president of Gongaza High School in Washington DC, and again, no action was taken.
According to media reports, both Daly and Novotny acknowledge that they received the reports but never took any action that would publicly identify Father Robert Cullen as a predator priest—or that would restrict him from contact with minors and the Catholic faithful.
In February 2005, Cullen died.
In February 2019, Father Cullen’s name appeared on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
In December 2019, Father Cullen’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors since 1950.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Charlotte in North Carolina. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in North Carolina, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Charlotte now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in North Carolina and nationwide. We can help.