Father Herbert Skurski (Franciscan Friar)
Diocese of Buffalo
Assigned as Follows:
- St. Michael Church (Bridgeport, CT)
- St. Casimir Church (Baltimore, MD)
- Corpus Christi Church (Chambersburg, PA)
- St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (Baltimore, MD)
- Queen of the Most Holy Rosary (Buffalo, NY)
- St. Theresa Church (Rochester, NY)
- Holy Trinity Church (Montreal, Canada)
- St. Stanislaus B.M. Church (Chicopee, MA)
- St. Hedwig Church (New Bedford, MA)
- St. Stephen Church (Shamokin, PA)
- St. March Church (Nova Scotia, Canada)
- St. Joseph Friary and Church (Peabody, MA)
- St. Mary’s Nativity Church (West Leyden, NY)
- St. Mary Church (Constableville, NY)
- St. Louis Church (Portland, ME)
- St. Joseph Church (Mount Carmel, PA)
- St. Hyacinth Friary (Granby, MA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Herbert Skurski:
Father Herbert Skurski was a Franciscan Friar ordained to the priesthood in the Diocese of Buffalo in 1944. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. His last assignment was as parochial vicar and eventually administrator of St. Joseph Church, Mount Carmel, PA where he celebrated his Golden Jubilee in 1994. He died in January 1996.
According to media reports, in 2017, a a woman sent a letter to Bishop Terry R. LaValley saying that Father Skurski had sexually abused her as a child while he was assigned to the Ogdensburg Diocese. After internally investigating the claim, the Diocese of Ogdensburg decided to provide financial assistance for counseling for the victim. In December 2018, the diocese offered her $100,000 from the IRCP.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Buffalo and throughout New York. The Diocese of Buffalo filed for federal bankruptcy protection in February 2020. Anyone sexually abused by a priest or employee of the Diocese of Buffalo may be entitled to file a claim against the Diocese in these bankruptcy proceedings, but very strict filing deadlines apply. Most victims of abuse in the Diocese of Buffalo will never be able to take action against the Diocese of Buffalo if they miss this bankruptcy filing deadline, so it is important that you contact us immediately to discuss your potential case.