Father Raymond Stegmann
Diocese of Rockville Centre
Assigned as follows:
- 1951 Unnamed Mission (North Elmont, NY)
- 1951-1957 St. Boniface (Elmont, NY)
- 1958-1959 Curé of Ars. St. John M. Vianney (Merrick, NY)
- 1960-1966 St. Mary of the Isle (Long Beach, NY)
- 1963-1972 Vice Chancellor
- 1967-1969 Maria Regina High School (Uniondale, NY)
- 1970-1972 St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary (Uniondale, NY)
- 1973-1991 Priests Retirement Board
- 1973-1975 Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Lindenhurst, NY)
- 1976-1978 Holy Trinity (Hicksville, NY)
- 1979-1992 St. Gertrude (Bayville, NY)
- 1993 St. Pius X Residence (Uniondale, NY)
- 1994-2000 Retired
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father Raymond Stegmann:
Father Raymond Stegmann (or Stegman) was ordained in the Diocese of Brooklyn before the Diocese of Rockville Centre was created in 1957. He retired in 1994 and died in June 2000.
According to media reports, in 2003, he was named in a lawsuit alleging that on several occasions he fondled and sodomized a 17-year-old sacristan from Notre Dame Parish in New Hyde Park in the 1970s. He was working in the Diocese’s business office at the time. The abuse allegedly took place in hotels, at St. Gertrude’s in Bayville, New York where Father Stegmann was pastor, and at the priest’s mother’s house.
In February 2019, his name was included in the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors. Stegmann is also listed on the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s 2021 List of Clergy Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Rockville Centre in New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. In October 2020, the Rockville Centre Diocese filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The Court will resolve all claims of sexual abuse in this process but strict filing deadlines will apply and no late claims will be considered, so contact us today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.