Father Cornelius (Neil) Carr
Archdiocese of New York/Jesuits
- 1952-1953: Weston College (Weston, MA)
- 1953-1954: Tertianship (Aurlcsviile, NY)
- 1954-1955: Canisius High School (Buffalo, NY)
- 1955-1961: St. Peter’s College High School (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1962-1964: McQuaid Jesuit High School (Rochester, NY)
- 1965-1966: Canisius College (Buffalo, NY)
- 1966-1971: Jesuit Provincial Residence (Syracuse, NY)
- 1972-1973: Colegio San Ignacio (Rio Piedras, P.R.)
- 1973-1976: 1180 Delaware Ave. (Buffalo, NY)
- 1977-1978: Community of St. John the Evangelist (New Orleans, LA)
- 1981-1984: Xavier High School (New York City, NY)
- 1985-1993: Canisius High School (Buffalo, NY)
- 1995-1996: Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues (Wernersville, PA)
- 1997-1999: Jesuit Retreat House (Oshkosh, WI)
- 2000-2001: St. Michael (Buffalo, NY)
- 2002-2005: Christ the King (Jacksonville, FL)
- 2007-2012: Murray-Weigel Hall (New York, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Cornelius (Neil) Carr:
Fr. Cornelius “Neil” Carr was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1951. In 2006, the Jesuits investigated allegations of child sexual abuse involving Carr. In late 2018, a survivor came forward alleging Carr reportedly witnessed a janitor sexually abusing the victim at Jesuit High School in New Orleans, Louisiana, in the late 1970s, and neglected to stop the abuse. In fact, the victim states that Carr not only didn’t stop the rape, but he also masturbated and joined in.
An audio recording captured Jesuit’s president at the time of the settlement describing the claim as credible. The school and order paid a $450,000 settlement to the victim.
According to the Jesuits, another report was also made in 2005, alleging that Carr sexually abused a minor from 1989 to 1990 while serving at Canisius High School in Buffalo, NY. No further details have been released.
Carr was included on the Archdiocese of New Orleans’ 2018 Clergy Report Regarding Abuse. Carr is also named on the list of “Jesuits of the US Central and Southern Province (and its predecessor entities) with Credible Allegations of Abuse of a Minor and the Jesuits’ list of “USA Northeast Province Jesuits with Credible Allegations of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.
Carr spent his last days at a Jesuit residence hall at Fordham University in the Bronx, NY.
He died in 2013.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in New York State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of New York now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.