Father Francis Callan
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1939-1942: Marquette High School (Yakima, WA)
- 1942-1943: St. Mary’s College (St. Mary’s, KS)
- 1943-1947: Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1947-1948: St. Aloysius Church (Spokane, WA)
- 1948-1949: St. Ignatius Mission (St. Ignatius, MT)
- 1949-1952: St. Mary’s Mission (Omak, WA)
- 1952-1953: St. Francis Xavier Mission (St. Xavier P.O., MT)
- 1953-1956: St. Joseph’s Church (Hardin, MT)
- 1956-1957: St. Stanislaus Church (Lewiston, ID)
- 1957-1958: St. Mary’s Church (Pendleton, OR)
- 1958-1960: Mount St. Michael’s (Spokane, WA)
- 1960-1962: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1962-1968: Campion Hall (Portland, OR)
- 1962-1965: Madre de Dios (Winslow, AZ)
- 1965-1968: Brophy Prep. High School (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1969-1970: St. Mary’s (Shaw, OR)
- 1973-1991: Oregon State Hospital (Salem, OR)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Francis Callan:
Fr. Francis Callan was ordained a Jesuit priest of the Oregon Province in 1946, who served in multiple dioceses in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in the early 1970s he was assigned to a chaplaincy at Oregon State Hospital in Salem, where he stayed until his death in 1991. His name was included on a 2011 list of Jesuits identified as perpetrators of sexual abuse. The Province agreed to make the list public as part of a bankruptcy reorganization plan. Details of the allegations against Callan were not provided.
In 2018, Callan’s name was also included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted abuse reported in 2009 that took place in 1950-1953. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victims and the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Callan died in 1991.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us toll-free at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.