Father Francis Ernst
Archdiocese of Baltimore/Jesuit
- 1955-1958: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1959-1971: St. Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1971-1974: St. Jane Frances de Canthal (Riviera Beach, MD)
- 1974-1976: Loyola College (Baltimore, MD)
- 1974-1976: Most Precious Blood (Baltimore, MD)
- 1976-1993: Our Lady of Victory (Arbutus, MD)
- 1993-1996: Good Shepherd (Lebanon, VA)
- 1996-1998: St. Ignatius (Baltimore, MD)
- 1998-2004: St. Augustine (Elkridge, MD) & St. Mark’s (Catonsville, MD)
- 1998-2004: St. Clement’s (Lansdowne, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father Francis Ernst
Bishop Carl Fisher was ordained a Jesuit priest and worked in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. In April 2023, Maryland’s Attorney General released a report alleging 156 Catholic clergy members sexually abused at least 600 children over six decades. The report lists the names of the abusers, including Father Ernst.
According to the AG’s report, in 2011, an individual reported that a former classmate was sexually abused by Ernst in the rectory of the St. Augustine Church in Elkridge. The report says that the victim was around 12-14 years old and consisted of rape and oral rape. The individual also noted that they believed there were other students abused by Ernst and provided potential names. The archdiocese made the mandatory report of abuse, as required by law, and also notified the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits.)
In September 2022, the Office of the Attorney General interviewed a family member of the victim who confirmed the abuse and stated that it began when the victim was approximately 6-7 years old and continued for several years. The family member noted that the abuse happened often during choir or altar boy practices. The victim also informed this family member that Ernst kept a book of pictures of naked boys. Aside from the Marylan Attorney General’s Report, Ernst has not been named on any credibly accused lists as of yet.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Baltimore in Maryland. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maryland, contact our office today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse nationwide. We can help. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.